Healthy Banana Cake Recipe
75g (1/3 cup) softened butter
110g (1/2 cup) caster (superfine granulated) sugar
1 large beaten egg
225g (2 cups) plain (all-purpose) flour
2 level tsp baking powder
grated rind of 1 orange and 1 lemon (optional)
4 ripe bananas
50g (1/2 cup) chopped walnuts
- Grease and base-line a loaf tin measuring 8.5 by 19cm (1 lb capacity), or set 12 paper muffin cases into a muffin tin. Heat the oven to 350F/180C/gas 4.
- Put butter, caster sugar and egg into a bowl. Sift in flour and baking powder. Using an electric mixer, whisk until thoroughly combined. Add the grated lemon and orange rind if using.
- Slice the bananas into another bowl, and mash to a pulp. Add to the flour mixture, along with the walnuts and whisk again thoroughly.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin or cases and bake until risen and browned, and springs back when pressed with a finger. A loaf takes about 50 minutes. Muffins take 15-20 mins.
- Leave cake to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning on to a wire tray.